In this blog I am going to give you an update of what has been going on behind the scenes of The Earth Faeries, and what I have been up to since the last I wrote. I’m also going to give you some great tips I have been using from my mentor to stay organized.
Over the past months I have been designing and making product lines – bridal hair combs. I have been fitting this in with making orders for clients, looking after the family pet dog, running the house and my other business. It has been a productive couple of months. Firstly I sketched some designs to give me an idea of what I wanted to create and then I ordered my supplies and got to work on them.
A quick sketch of some of the designs I am making
I experimented with different back grounds in various locations and was pleased with their effects. I used a gardening magazine for one back ground, the wall of my house for another and my wooden window ledge. Plus I got some good feedback off other photographers and clients which was nice to hear as I can see I’m making progress. Here are some of the ones that are going on my online shop shortly.
A peach marbled rose that I custom made for my client
I am also currently having another one of my earth faeries characters drawn up for me. This time it is the Gothic faerie that I am having designed for me. So I’m spending a lot of time on the computer looking for ideas for her so I can send them over to my artist friend. If you are not familiar with my stories that I write with these characters in then please find them here. The plan is to have them all made in silicone moulds so I can make pendants out of them and paint them. I love painting as it is so relaxing and I enjoy getting messy. Yes I always get more on me that what I am painting but that makes the experience more fun.
I have been getting inspiration from the change of the seasons. Although the days are still sunny the garden is full of leaves of orange, gold and yellow hues. The sunset was pretty spectacular the other day, glinting on the piles of leaves in my garden and it looked like the golden hour. There is inspiration in abundance everywhere I look which influences my designs or how I style my products. Autumn is finally here and it’s one of my favorite months.
I celebrated my birthday with my family in the forest
My birthday came and went in October but it was one to remember. An entire day of no work, great company and beautiful nature. Can imagine my delight when my mum and my daughter asked me to go for a picnic in the forest to celebrate my birthday. It was a manifestation come true!
Maybe it is a bit big as a prop. What do you reckon?
Me on the right with my mum and lovely dog enjoying my birthday!
Equipped with sandwiches, some vegan oatie cakes and flap jacks, and a flask of tea we headed to the forest which was about a mile walk from where I live. There is something magical about sharing your food with your loved ones whilst sat on logs surrounded my mighty trees and clean fresh air whilst watching our Labrador playing with the sticks. Plus I enjoyed finding leaves, sticks and other goodies that I can use as props in my pictures. It was a great birthday and one to remember.
Everywhere we go we always take a picture of our feet. It is a family tradition 🙂
How I’m keeping myself organized this winter
Winter is now upon me and it is so easy to crawl under the bed clothes and want to stay huddled up there for the entire day. I live in a country style house up in the Welsh hills so it can get very cold in the winter here and I can find it hard to get out of bed. And warmth and coziness really helps one to feel more motivated so it is the time of year we start to stock up on our logs for our fire and log burner. This not only helps me feel motivated to work but it also puts me in right frame of mind to get myself organized. And good organization is a must for any business as I soon realized when I was hoovering up and sucking up my faux pearls that I’d unknowing dropped on the floor.
I’m not big on plastics but some of the supplies I order come in them so rather than disposing of them which is not good for the environment I now use them as containers to keep my jewellery findings in. No more hoovering my supplies up now which is far more cost effective for me. Here are a couple of tips on how to improve your organization skills as well as free up time to get organized as well as enjoy life.
8 organization tips to helps keep your life & business organized
- Use to do lists daily. There is something satisfying about ticking them off. It adds some structure to your day and something you need if you are self employed.
- Set up production line to help you maximize time and get yourself organized. For example I have all my items in separate trays and all in order so I can pick from them what I need in order to make my products. It is like a mini production lines and saves heaps of time. For example here is the order that I make my hair combs in and the order of the trays I keep them in so easy accessible – computer to process orders, hair comb, ribbon to dress it with, clays to make the roses with, bead wire to create the vines and the beads and crystals to attach to them, boxes, envelopes and stamps. Plus when I start taking on other freelancers to work for me to help me make my products I will share these tips with them to help them maximize their productivity by getting them more organized.
- Use packaging that other companies send you for example plastic tubs to store your craft supplies in. It is more eco friendly to the environment too.
- The obvious one is to keep a diary so you can keep a list of all your clients names and addresses and time scales so my products reach them in time for their special occasion. Writing it all down saves relying on memory.
- Clean your work surfaces as you go along. Not only is it good hygiene practice but it saves time in the long run.
- Take time out through out the day and schedule it before hand. You could have half an hour walk, do 15 minutes meditation or just to sit and practice the art of doing nothing. Time out helps to keep you replenished, makes you more productive in the long run.
- Be like the Europeans and take a siesta. You return refreshed and rejuvenated and I always find that I get twice as much done.
- Another good tip that was given to me is to use Hoote Suite to schedule my tweets. You would write down what information you are going to share on your social media accounts with pictures and they are automatically posted at certain times of the day. This frees up your time to focus on other tasks and something I am learning more about at the moment as it sounds like a good idea. Obviously you still have to be there to reply to your customers and group members comments but it is a great time saver and helps you organize your time more effectively so you can get more things done in a day.
Do you have any organization tips that are working for you to share with me? I am always open to learning.
If you would like daily inspiration please come and join me on my Earth Faeries group